Kolkata, is famous for its rich culture, artistic architecture, grand festivities and numerous colors on the streets. Due to this vast offering Kolkata has become a tourist hub.
Tourist Attractions in Kolkata-
- Belur Math- A tranquil shrine on the banks of Hooghly is a place of spiritual enlightenment blessed by Swami Vivekanand and his Guru Sri. Ramkrishna.
- Victoria memorial- Once a symbol of British empire in India this monument is now converted into a museum with multiple paintings and other artifacts.
- Science city- Built in 1987 science city is one of its kind facilities with modern aids like 3-D theatres, computer kiosks, and interactive videos to demonstrate scientific concepts for educational and entertainment value.
- Birla Planetarium- The Birla Planetarium in Kolkata is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world.
Shopping in Kolkata-
- Burra bazaar- It’s the wholesale market of Kolkata having a wide variety ranging from apparels to electronic items.
- New market- This place is a one stop shop for all your fashion needs.
- Gariahat market- A long stretch of multiple street side shops offering exotic clothes, household items, home decors and even food items. One can heavily bargain on all products.
How to Reach Kolkata-
- Kolkata has its own International Airport. (17 kms to city centre- 30mins approx.)
- Railway station- Kolkata has its own railway station (4 kms from city centre- 20mins approximately)
- Kolkata is well connected by Road with major cities in India.
Best Time to Visit-
- November-February (Winter)
Wanderer’s Eye Tips-
- The science city is a must visit specially if travelling with kids as there are many interesting scientific games and shows.
- Try the famous tram for a short distance to experience the old british transport facility.
- A walk through the old city is bliss due to its beautiful architecture of all the buildings and houses.
- Manage all the plane and train timings keeping in mind the heavy traffic of Kolkata.
Climate of Kolkata-
- Summers extend from March to Mid-June and temperature ranges from 27℃ to 36℃ with intense humidity.
- Monsoon extends from Mid-June to October having heavy showers. (avg raingall-63 inches)
- Winters (November-February) are moderately cold with temperature ranging from 19℃ to 29℃.
History of Kolkata-
- The origins of Kolkata date back to the Maurya and Gupta period where Kolkata was a major trading hub. The city was then known as Kalikshetra (Meaning- The ground of Goddess Kali.)
- The Colonisers came in Kolkata in 1699 under the name of East India Company and slowly took over the entire Kolkata and made it their capital until 1911.
- Post 1900, Kolkata became hotbed for Indian Nationalism movement.
Culture of Kolkata-
- People- As per 2011 census, the population of Kolkata is 13.9Lakh. The locals are mostly Hindu’s followed by Christians and Muslims. The locals have a mix of French and Indian culture.
- Languages- Bengali is the main language of West Bengal. Hindi and English are also commonly used by the locals.
- Festivals-The 10-day Durga Pooja is the highlight of Kolkata with all idols of Goddess Kali in the colourful Pandals. Diwali and holi are also celebrated with great pomp.
- Art- Rabindra Sangeet is the specialty of Kolkata. The city is also a pioneering film production center in India.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.